Was He Assassinated?!


This was my reaction when I learned this morning that the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh (the state I'm in) died last night. As far as anyone can tell, he was not assassinated. His helicopter crashed last night probably due to monsoon rains. As Abdul told me, "The whole state is in shock, he was the best Chief Minister we ever had."But then again, people in India cannot get too attached to any politician, choosing a political career in India is the deadliest career path one can choose. Corruption rules and assassinations are as frequent (if not more so) than the elections themselves. Due to his death, roads will be closed for his funeral procession and Sajiid informed us that it might be too dangerous to go out tonight. People are charged up and there might be trouble.

(Chief Minister - yedumenti sandinti raja sekhara reddy )

(People in India have a million names! Okay, well only four of five but still! I got very confused looks when I told the man at the post office my name was Alexandra Chambers. He exclaimed, "Thats it?! What a strange name..." You're strange, just mail my package! )

And the police wouldn't be any help. Abdul explained to me that the police in India are known as the bad guys. And not just because they suck the fun out of everything, like they do in America. They are a corrupt and brutal bunch. I was shocked when Abdul answered the phone to tell his friend, "The police beat you senseless? What were you doing?" Apparently, Abdul's friend and some others were beaten by the police for riding their motorbikes around an abandoned parking lot and trying to pop wheelies. Crazy huh? I guess his friend is fine, just a bit sore.

Abdul and I have been hanging out over the past week and its honestly been a blast. I'm glad I have a friend so far away from home. Last sunday I went to Abdul's house. I met most of his family and he showed me his neighborhood. His sister even gave me an amazing Henna tattoo!

This month is the month of Ramadan which means all muslims must fast (absolutely no food or water) from 5:30 AM to 7:00 PM - so I got to have dinner and break fast with Abdul. (Break fast not breakfast. )It was nice and I got to eat Indian style - with the right hand and sitting on the floor. Who knew my bad habits were all the rage in India? But they kept bringing more and more and more and more food! I thought I was going to burst from trying to be polite and eat some of everything. His mother also gave me some beautiful material for an Indian dress so I must go to a tailor and get it made soon! After dinner, Abdul took me for a ride on his motorbike. Ha, we did have to wait til dark because Abdul taking a non-muslim girl on the back of his motor bike would be, well, SCANDALOUS! Regardless, it was honestly one of the best things I've ever done! Winding through dirt streets - dogs barking, mosque music playing, women cooking ... my hands up and head tilted back letting the Indian air wash over me. Of course, the hands went back down very quickly every time we approached a pothole (about every 15 seconds).


So in India I ....
- got my first tattoo (check)
- road on my first motorcycle (check)

hmmm maybe not the experiences I had planned on writing about in my diary.

0 comments:

Post a Comment